Thursday, April 14, 2016

ryan's quilt


When Britton attended her daycare for kindergarten, she had a best buddy named Lila.  Lila and her family moved to Florida last year, and we've kept in touch.  When they came to Pittsburgh to visit family last summer, we got together and the girls had a blast.  Lila's parents started the long and arduous process of adoption long before they moved, and in January they adopted Ryan, their son.

Ryan isn't a little baby, he's 1 1/2 years old, but he's their baby.  And a toddler still needs a quilt, for cuddling, building forts, having picnics, and generally dragging around behind him.  I wanted to make something fun, and I found the backing first, oddly enough!  Normally I make the quilt, then pick the backing.  But in this case, I picked out this backing way before I was planning to make a quilt. I just liked it.  So when I received Ryan's arrival announcement, I knew the backing could be my inspiration for the quilt colors.  I decided on isosceles triangles, because I love the simplicity and the random mixing of colors.  


I gathered navy, golden yellow, dark grey, light grey, turquoise, mint, and white (mostly scraps!), and set to work.  This is my first triangle quilt where the points came together well!  I straight-line stitched on either side of the triangle with very light turquoise thread and the binding is dark grey.

The backing that started it all

Lila's parents love the quilt!  I love making quilts, but nothing beats making a special quilt to celebrate, and new babies might be the best reason.   Congrats on the arrival of Ryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment