Thursday, September 9, 2010

a big bite out of life

I got a call today at work from my daycare. I of course missed the call because my cell phone was on "vibrate," which essentially means "ain't gonna hear it." So I called back and Britton's teacher sheepishly reported that Britton had been bitten. Well, actually, bitten THREE TIMES (even though we later counted FOUR). By the same kid. In different incidences. After assessing that Britton was physically okay, even though the last bite had broken the skin, I got off the phone fuming.

Grandma picked up Britton before I got to the daycare so that I could confront her teachers and the director without poor Britton in tow having to watch mommy lose her cool. Instantly her teacher was defensive, ending her explanation with "All kids bite." First, that's a generalization, not a reason. Second, it's not true. Because while Britton has been bitten SIX TIMES while in daycare (five of those times while at this daycare) she has yet to bite anyone back. Though after today I did give her permission to do so. And third, that doesn't negate the fact that obviously someone wasn't doing her job. See, teachers need to be on the alert, especially when this same kid has already bitten my child within the hour.

She also informed me that Britton wasn't the only child bitten by this kid today. I have an idea - get the biter out of here! She's going around, chomping limbs and whatnot because she's mad/frustrated/can't communicate/had a bad day/WHATEVER - this kid obviously has issues and needs to be put in a soft room full of teethers and board books. Not in a room full of toddlers. And I get it that there's something wrong with a kid who is going around teething her classmates, but c'mon. I do my parenting to the best of my ability, even when I'm tired and cranky and don't feel like it. I now have to sympathize and be the bigger person because some kid has crappy parents?

The director wasn't even aware that the biting had occurred. But she was quick to just listen, understand where I was coming from. My argument - I didn't need attitude and defensiveness when it was my child who was hurt, it was entirely the fault of the teachers in the room, and that this would never happen again. I waved the multiple incident reports in my hand and stated, "I won't be getting another one of these." Because if I do, there will be hell to pay. I'll be damned if Britton is going to become this biter's victim, being comforted with cold packs and soothed, without a clue as to why she is being hurt in the first place. Teachers can't figure out a way to prevent it? Get new teachers. Maybe this time, someone not 19 years old with a bad texting habit. The only thing Britton is learning from being bitten is to bite. So, yeah, useless 19 year old who uses the career title "teacher" loosely, try doing your job correctly the first time and I won't have to call you out again.

Left arm-



Left hand-



Right arm-



Right hand-



Strawberries and hugs make it all better-

1 comment:

  1. Though I sympathize with how much it sucks to have your kid get bitten mulitple times at daycare, it doesn't mean that the kid who is biting has crappy parents. That is just as much of a "generalization" and "not true" as the teachers statment that "all kids bite".

    ReplyDelete