Saturday, June 23, 2018

the staci quilt

I've had an Etsy shop for a couple of years now, and most of my sewing projects ended up there.  It was a fantastic solution to an age-old problem - trying out new quilt ideas in small sizes, but what do you do with a ton of extra baby quilts?  But I decided early this year to start sewing specifically for people, including myself.  So, few quilts have ended up in the shop, and fewer people visit the shop, and that's ok.  Because I want my time and energy directed towards projects (and people) that I love.

First up - yes, a baby quilt!  My co-worker Staci is due in two weeks, and she hasn't found out the gender of the baby yet.  Normally, this would mean soft pastels of green and yellow, or, let's be honest, something more masculine than gender-neutral.  But Staci is an original, someone who is ok with the grey between the black and white, and I knew she didn't do pastels.  So, llamas it is!  "Lovely Llamas" by Michael Miller, and it was hard to track down.  But that just meant I was on the right track!  I was trolling the internet for days for inspiration.  Once I saw this fabric, I knew I would do a whole cloth quilt (no blocks or piecing), with the fabric showcased in all its uncut glory.  


The backing comes from Joanns "Soft and Comfy" line (like Minky), and was the perfect color.  I haven't found this color back in stock yet, but if I do, I'm buying the entire bolt.


The binding is "Sundance Stripe" by Sue Daley for Riley Blake Designs, and the mini pom-pom trim is "green apple."  I was inspired to do a black and white stripe binding (on the bias) because of the llamas' blankets, but I wanted separation from the white backing of the material.  The pom-pom gave me that visual break, and is stinky cute!


I finished the quilt with rounded corners and large cross-hatch quilting, to keep the quilt soft and squishy.  We had the baby shower last week, and Staci loved the quilt!  

Those are some sassy llamas!


1 comment: