Monday, April 10, 2017

bathroom redo - a DIY fail

The only room in our house we haven't touched is the half guest bath downstairs.   The room is purely functional, and was doing its job.  But it had beige wallpaper and a boring mirror glued to the wall, and my instantaneous-gratification side needed the final project completed.  As per the usual, I thought some You Tube videos would be enough.  Armed with some wallpaper removal spray and a scorer, I set to getting the wallpaper off.  And it did come off - in small pieces, and sometimes with the top layer of the drywall!  After hours of increasing frustration, the hubs and I figured out we were in over our heads!  We stopped and called our painter Carlos to come take a look...

I've turned the bathroom into a horror show!


Carlos sent Hector over, and he started by removing the wallpaper (with a steamer, for EIGHT HOURS), then mudding the walls.  Then Hector textured the walls so they would match the rest of the house.  Funny (now) story - after Hector painted the walls, I got home from work and noticed that the color seemed off.  We had picked "Sea Salt" by Sherwin Williams, and the bathroom was undoubtedly light grey.  I checked the lid, and it said "Agreeable Grey" - not "Sea Salt"!  Turns out they got the color wrong, and we had to wait a couple of days to get it repainted.



Complete!  Painted the correct color!  In hindsight, we never could have gotten the bathroom to this point.  We would have been better off painting over the wallpaper, because that stuff was glued on tight.


I framed a reprint of the 1943 NOAA nautical chart for the Chesapeake Bay.  I initially wanted to wallpaper the bathroom in nautical charts (yep, that's a thing!) but the cost was prohibitive - over $2000 for the bathroom.  So the framed chart (frame from IKEA, $17! and chart from here ) was my compromise.  The cabinet is from Target, and I did my "faux mercury glass" treatment to the doors so they wouldn't show what I was storing inside.  Nobody wants to see toilet paper and fragrance spheres.




The light fixture will eventually be changed out, but in the meantime I picked up some seeded glass sconces to replace the old ones.  Hector installed the light fixture upside down, but I think I prefer it this way!  The mirror is Moen's pivotable mirror from Lowes.


Our accent color in the bathroom is dark teal, and the rug, vintage-looking metal tile above the toilet, and hand towels are all holdovers from the original bathroom.


Had I ever used "Sea Salt" prior to this moment in time, I admit that my entire house would be coated in it.  I love the color.  I'm relieved that we knew someone who could come in and fix my DIY fail, and how good the bathroom turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment