Monday, November 14, 2016

the nixon quilt


I met my friend April at work in Pennsylvania.  A year in, she moved to Houston, and I inherited her office.  Fast forward a maternity leave, I had to leave when we moved to the new office.  We've reunited in Houston, and April is pregnant with her first baby, a girl!  For the entire time I've known April, she's wanted to be a mom, and her future daughter would be named after her favorite president.  And this girl is hugely liberal and left-leaning, but she also knows what she likes and sticks with it.

I attended her baby shower on Friday, and is it any surprise she was getting a baby quilt?  April has decorated Nixon's room in greys and lavenders, definitely more purple than pink for this baby.  I don't always center a quilt around a nursery's decor - tastes change, people updated decor as the baby grows up - but I knew April would always favor lavender and grey.  The pattern is "Star Gazing" by Soft Day Quilt Patterns.  The colors are Kona Pewter and Kona Orchid.  I quilted in straight lines 1/4 inch on either side of the seams.  In the bottom most right white triangle, I hand-stitched the recipient's name in, no surprise, purple.  I'm only apt to personalize a quilt if I know for a fact that the parents won't change their minds!


The backing is Keepsake Calico's "Bird Floral Outline," a beautiful combination of purples, grey, coral, green and turquoise, with a touch of yellow.  With such a simple color combo for the front, I wanted to go more bold with the backing.  I binded the quilt in Pewter because I didn't have enough Orchid!

Showing the quilting:


Sample from Joanns (to better see the pattern):


Congrats to April and Tracy on the upcoming addition to their family!


No comments:

Post a Comment