Friday, July 22, 2016

old is new again

Before we moved to Texas, Jessica brought me our dad's old desk and dresser.  When I say old, I mean that these were our dad's furniture when he was a boy.  They were in Jessica's room growing up, I had the desk in law school, then they went back to Jessica, in Garrett's room until he outgrew them.  They have a sentimentality, and neither Jessica nor I could ever give them away.  But neither one of us had use for them.  Until now....


Honey pine, scratches, dents, and some artistic renderings in marker....


Memaw and PawPaw gave Britton a roll top desk for Christmas last year.  Britton loves it, but she's outgrown the desk, and she needed a new one.  My dad's old desk was taking up space in the garage, but I hadn't considered it because of it's present condition.  Then it occurred to me that I could use the desk, if I could give it a facelift.  The desk can have history, but doesn't have to stand still in time!  So I called up Jessica to make sure she didn't mind me painting it, and I headed off to Lowes for some Valspar chalky paint (color is Beaded Reticule).


It took two coats of paint and poly, and I had the old scratches and artwork covered.  It was my first time using Valspar chalky paint, which was an absolute dream, and so much cheaper than Annie Sloan.  Plus, they will mix any color!  The poly on the other hand, not great.


See how the drawer are darker?  The poly "yellowed" on the drawers only (I have no idea why only the drawers were affected).  It gives the desk a more vintage "aged" look, but I wasn't necessarily going for that.  But at the point, what can I do?  I'm not repainting the entire desk, that's for sure!


I let it dry over 24 hours, and then we got it into Britton's room today.  She loves it!  So much room and storage for all her notebooks and art supplies.  She said, "I can do my homework here!  And draw!"  And with her new bedding (mermaid sheets and a seafoam comforter) the color of the desk looks great in her room.  


The makeovers don't stop there - we're having a bookcase built in the family room for our final (for now) project.  I'll share pictures when we get the house all put together!

No comments:

Post a Comment