Sunday, October 2, 2011

twenty-six months old



Britton decided to celebrate her twenty-six month birthday by gathering all of her "pets" around her, then teaching them to use the potty. It was precious. We then went to the playground to play basketball and climb, slide, and swing. Britton went to the doctor last week for a bug bite (we thought it was a spider bite because it stuck around so long, but it wasn't) and she now weighs 33.8 pounds! That means that the fall 4T clothes I bought her, that start at 34 pounds, will fit. Whew! Not that she's had a chance to wear them yet, since it only recently dipped down to the mid 80s.



Britton is still advancing amazingly with her vocabulary. She knows all her months, all her days of the week, and how to spell her name and "boots" (it's a Laurie Berkner song). And she has recently been obsessed with princesses and queens, no doubt a result of being at Disney World, and wants to read her "queen book" (Snow White) every single night. She surprised me the other night by naming all seven dwarfs by name correctly. I mean, I know kids' brains are like sponges, but her recall just blows my mind! She has also started taking the book from me and "reading" it to me - just telling me what is on the pages, or if she knows the book well reciting the words by memory. Then when she finishes she goes, "Yay Britton!" The hub refers to this as her shameless self-promotion!

We have seen a little bit of the terrible twos, with Britton throwing a tantrum if we don't go along with what she wants (walking in the middle of the street, for instance) or fail to understand what she is trying to communicate. We're trying to be patient and not take it personally, and I'm trying really hard to not get angry and yell, which I'm apt to do when I get pushed to my limit. I know, like all phases, it won't last long. Adding insult to injury - Britton is getting her second molars in. She shoves her finger in her mouth and chews like it's bubblegum, and she's trying her best to act like it doesn't hurt, but we know it does. If only we could put Dora band-aids on her teeth she'd be all better! Britton is still sleeping well - about twelve hours at night and then a nap. If I let her sleep in in the morning until 7:00 am, she won't nap. But if I get her up at 6:45 am, she'll nap. Her teacher and I finally put it together!



Likes: Dora the Explorer, princesses, drawing on wipes with markers, her Mickey Mouse shirt, "cleaning" with us, going on walks, going to the playground

Dislikes: teething and not being allowed to watch "Tangled" all day long

This afternoon we helped Memaw make her entries for a baking contest at her work. Britton loved her "quality control" tasting of the triple salted caramel cupcakes and sopapilla cheesecake! Then she helped us print off cute labels for the containers. Good luck Memaw!



No comments:

Post a Comment