Friday, September 2, 2011

twenty-five months old

Britton is officially two years and one month old today! It snuck up on me, but I've now had to admit that my baby girl is really nowhere near a baby anymore. Even "toddler" doesn't describe this age, since she's got the walking thing down. Britton is, since no other word really exists to adequately describe her, a kid. She is turning into a goofball, skipping around and singing Laurie Berkner songs in the car with me, and "reading" me her books, and using our ottoman as a trampoline. In the pool she's already jumping off the side!



Britton's language is growing too, as she now uses phrases and full sentences. She's taken to now saying sorry if she steps on your foot or accidentally runs into Sadie, which is so adorable and makes me instantly need to tell her that whatever infraction it was is ok. We have this book about a dump truck driver and she LOVES this book almost as much as her "Katie the Kitten" book. Stick with me, I'll get to the point. Anywho, I'm putting her in the car the other morning and this older couple is "power-walking" and the husband is overweight and hasn't shaved and is dressed like a slob (probably because he's working out). Britton sees this man, points at him, looks at me all serious-like and goes, "Dump truck." I about keeled over in the driveway because this guy did bear a striking resemblance to the dump truck driver in the book!

Britton is still doing well with her food, recently discovering a love of the hub's steak fajitas, my chicken pot pie (really just the crust, but I can't blame the girl since it's my favorite part too), donuts, nectarines, and orange mousse yogurt. She's still eating a wide variety and is willing to try anything, and I so hope she holds onto that. As far as sleeping goes, Britton has refused napping all week at daycare, but her teacher says she just sits there quietly or talks to the teacher in a low voice. I think Mrs. Irma is getting accustomed to these conversations and enjoys them herself! Hopefully this is just a phase, with her getting used to sleeping in a little bit more in the mornings since I don't have to commute anymore.

For a while now Britton has been morally opposed to taking a bath. When we would put her in the bath she refused to sit down. We figured it was just a phase, and frankly a bath is a non-negotiable, so we just put her through it. The hub thought getting a detachable shower head would help, if only to make washing her hair with her standing up more manageable. But the shower head did nothing to make her enjoy baths again. Well, last week the hub did the grocery shopping and came home with foam alphabet letters (Dora, of course) that stick to the walls and tub. Britton loved them, and playing with them extended bath time to where we had to tell her it was time to get out. So unlike the previous weeks where she wanted to get out immediately. And last night she finally sat down in the tub, then laid down and announced, "I playing!" If she's anything like me as a child, next week I'll find her soaking in a chilly tub, the water cooled down from the hours spent reading in the tub. Seriously, you couldn't get my sister and me out of the freaking tub as kids when we were into a really good book!

I suspect that Britton is getting her second molars in, as she's chewing on anything plastic. She's wearing size 3T and some 4T clothes, and is now in pull-ups (though we're trying to use up her diapers and throw one on her every now and then). She's doing a great job on the potty, using it all day at daycare and then randomly at home. She loves getting to flush the toilet when we empty her potty in the big toilet, and thinks that wiping with toilet paper means throwing it into the bowl!



Likes: kittens, puppies, big trucks, trains (especially when they blow their horns), coloring with markers, coloring herself with markers, play-doh, going in the pool, anything to do with Dora the Explorer, throwing and catching balls, reading books

Dislikes: having her hair brushed, when it's too hot to play outside, having her fingernails and toenails clipped, and shoes on when she's in the grass

I'm ready for my close-up Mommy...

No comments:

Post a Comment